Singing Classes Like No Other
Would you like to:
• sing higher?
• have a stronger voice?
• sing with less tension and more freedom?
• sing with a more resonant voice (not breathy)?
• have better breath management/stamina?
• always sing in tune?
• control your low notes?
• control your high notes?
• sing with confidence?
• learn to perform on stage?
• learn to sing your favorite songs?
• find your voice?
Would You Like to Improve Your Singing Voice No Matter Your Talent Level or Experience?
Singing Lessons Designed for Your Voice to Build on Your Strengths and Fix Vocal Issues
Imagine having a singing teacher who plans each and every singing lesson to help you get better every week....
Imagine doing specific vocal exercises to fix the problematic areas in your singing...
Imagine singing the songs that you love and learning to sing them well...
Those are what you’ll get when you take singing lessons from me.
"Singing isn't easy, that is until you visit Benny and he teaches you how to do it properly, then it's surprisingly easy! If not for Benny I'd have blown out my vocals singing for Nerdlinger long ago"
"Hey Benny! Just wanted to say thanks for the vocal coaching! really helped us out mate!"
Scott McNairn (Sydney punk rock band, Nerdlinger)
Who Am I and How Am I Qualified to Teach Singing?
My name is Benny Ng. I’m a contemporary singer and singing teacher/vocal coach. I’ve been singing for over 14 years. I’ve been teaching singing lessons in Sydney since 2012.
My qualifications include: BMus (Performance), Diploma in Audio Engineering, Grad Dip Mus (Vocal Pedagogy) and Grad Dip Ed (Secondary). I’ve graduated from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music and learned from some of the best teachers in the music industry. I’ve also been composing and writing songs since 2007.
I'm accredited with BOSTES (Board of Studies NSW), Department of Education (DEC Full Approval), a member of APRA|AMCOS with a Working with Children Check clearance number. Working as a music teacher at Dulwich High School of Visual Arts and Design, I'm also the director of the school's vocal ensemble.
Benny is the director of Dulwich High School of Visual Arts and Design vocal ensemble
You might have seen the instructional videos that I posted on SingNow Studio FB page (with thousands of views) or the cover songs videos on my YouTube channel.
But it wasn’t always like this. Especially in the beginning, my singing progress was slow and difficult.
I was born and raised in Malaysia. I moved to Sydney 10 years ago to study music. I was introduced to a fantastic singing teacher and I was making great progress in singing. However, that teacher moved interstate and from then on, I had a string of bad teachers who taught me dubious techniques and I had trouble building a rapport with them. My singing suffered as a result.
Then I decided to take things into my own hands. I studied the vocal anatomy relentlessly and had the help and guidance of excellent lecturers at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. My singing improved steadily and pretty soon, I gained more confidence in my voice.
In 2011, I decided to take it one step further. I wanted to teach what I know to others. I wanted to be the teacher that I wish I had. I vowed to be patient and empathetic towards my students. Above all, I wanted to design and plan each singing lesson to the individual student's strengths and interests. This way, I could help my students improve the areas that they needed to work on - helping them improve faster. And this is where you come in. I want to be there for you on your journey of learning to sing. I want to help you be the best singer you can be.
Why is Learning to Sing So Difficult?
That’s because learning to sing can be very abstract. Unlike a guitar or a piano, there are no keys to press and no strings to strum when you sing. Your body is your instrument - your mind and imagination is the key to controlling your voice. Just like a guitarist controls the guitar using hands/fingers, you control your voice using your mind and imagination.
See, you already have what you need to sing: your voice box/larynx, your lungs and your brain.
What you need is to learn how to make them work together as a whole - as a musical instrument!
What Will You Learn?
Every lesson will cover at least 3 of these 5 aspects of vocal technique:
• how to stand/sit in the correct way to sing
• how posture can affect your breathing technique
• how good posture can make you more relaxed and free of tension to sing
• learn about different kinds of breathing techniques and the best one to use for singing
• breathing exercises to build body-mind connection
• understand the whole breathing mechanism: "It's not just the diaphragm!"
• how to always sing in tune
• extend your vocal range both ways: sing higher notes, sing lower notes
• develop vibrato/falsetto
• how to project your voice so the audience can hear you
• develop a variety of vocal tones (dark, bright, round, twangy etc)
• develop a balanced, resonant tone throughout your range
• how to enunciate consonants and vowels to make singing easier
• strengthen your articulatory muscles (tongue, lips, jaw) for clear articulation
• tongue, lips, neck, jaw exercises and self-massage to get your voice warmed-up
• gestures and facial expressions for effective performance
• songs to build up your repertoire (teacher choice/your choice)
• how to deliver songs using appropriate stylistic interpretation
• develop stage presence
• microphone techniques
• how to move on stage
• develop a repertoire of songs you can sing well
• choose songs that you like
• sing songs that bring out the strengths of your voice
15 minutes: body stretches, breathing techniques, vocal warm-up, specific vocal exercises
15 minutes: song learning, stagecraft, microphone technique
30 minutes: body stretches, breathing techniques, vocal warm-up, specific vocal exercises
30 minutes: song learning, stagecraft, microphone technique
Why Should You Learn Singing from Me?
- I see every student as an individual with their own strengths and weaknesses - I plan your lessons according to what works for you and get rid of what doesn't
- You will get my years of experience as a singer/vocalist and my keen ears to monitor your singing: you'll always be on track and know what your voice sounds like and how to fix vocal issues
- I know about vocal anatomy and make singing easy to understand by using visual aids and mental imageries: you'll get better quickly
- I teach you about how your voice works in simple and easy to understand terms: you'll get better quicker
- I'm patient and I care about your success: you get undivided attention to help you achieve singing success
- No matter how "horrible" you think your voice is, I can always find good things about your voice: increasing your confidence in your voice
- I change up exercise routines to keep things fresh: you'll enjoy each and every lesson
- I'll give you lyric sheets and backing tracks to practice at home: get better quicker
- I'm flexible with lesson times: you can reschedule lessons for your convenience and for free (with a 24-hour notice)
- Friendly atmosphere: you'll feel relaxed and more open to discovering your voice/singing your heart out
Plus, You're Getting Extra Bonuses!
Offering customized singing lessons is a big deal for me. It took me 14 years to hone my singing skills and hundreds of hours of research to find the safest and the most effective vocal exercises to help my students improve their voice. So why am I adding in extra free stuff?
I want you to have the freedom to express yourself using your singing voice, and to achieve that as quickly as possible
Bonus #1 - Free 30-Minute (No-Strings-Attached) Lesson
You are free to try one lesson with me to see if I’m a good fit for you. I'll also give you an overview of your vocal strengths and areas that you need to work on. When you contact me, I’ll ask you about your interests and singing goals. I’m not doing so to make you nervous. I ask so that I can prepare a customized lesson plan for you. And whatever you decide, this lesson will always be free.
Bonus #2 - Vocal Warm-Up Tracks
Say you’re happy with your first lesson and you decide to come back for more lessons. Great! I’ll then provide you with specially recorded vocal warm-up tracks (audio and video) that you can use to practice at home, in the car or anywhere!
Bonus #3 - Lyric Sheets/Chord Charts/Backing Tracks
Once we start learning songs (usually from the very first lesson!), I’ll give you everything you need to learn the songs and build your repertoire. These include lyric sheets, chord charts, sheet music and backing tracks for you to take home.
Awards & Features
What Students Think of Benny
"Hi Benny,Thank you so much for making me aware of the tension and the breath I need to sing. Sounds simple but I needed reminding!!
Since my lesson I have been doing relaxed breathing and have really noticed how tense it was and how much I need to let my jaw go. Not sure if it was anything to do with my breathing before bed but I even slept better, it's been two years since I haven't woken in the night!
And today I walked for an hour and a half doing soft palate breathing and came home and managed to sing a relaxed Mariah Carey song!!! It's been years!! My husband couldn't believe it.
I'm going to work so hard at this thanks so much for triggering the start of something great and the summary and exercises!!"
"Thanks Benny for the lessons. Great fun and a great approach to instilling good practice techniques which have helped me gain a better quality to my singing voice (which was very necessary!!)."
Merrilee (Northern Beaches)
"Our nine year old daughter asked to have some singing lessons recently and when we came across Benny's web ad. she decided to start. She really enjoyed her lessons with Benny as he ensured that she had suitable breathing exercises and opportunities to learn songs that were engaging, current and age appropriate. Throughout Benny demonstrated professionalism and enthusiasm. He is clearly a committed teacher who used technology and scaffolded learning and teaching strategies in support of our daughter's learning. I highly recommend Benny and thank him for his patience and calm and caring approach!"
Lauren (Northern Beaches)
"Under Benny's guidance I have had enormous improvement in my singing. Teaching me many hard to acquire singing techniques Benny is full of tips and tricks on how to improve my vocals in any situation. He is very patient and understanding and his explanations are always easy to understand and simple. If you are looking to progress your singing career through both fun and informative lessons then I strongly recommend Benny to be your next singing instructor. He will surprise you on how fun and rewarding singing can be."
"...very intelligent and observant... will definitely get to the bottom of your singing blocks"
He knows how to improve your singing by giving a lot of advice, and lots of explaination. Try his class and you will never regret."
Who Are These Singing Lessons For?
If you’d like to improve your singing, then these singing lessons are for you.
I teach most contemporary styles including but not limited to: Rock, Pop, Musical Theater, Singer/Songwriter, R&B, Hip-Hop.
I can help you:
- prepare for HSC performance pieces
- an upcoming audition
- sing better in your choir
- sing better in your band
- sing better in musicals
- regain your vocal abilities (after long periods of non singing/vocal damage)
- improve your speaking voice
- improve your voice for busking
- sing for fun
It doesn’t matter if you’ve only ever sung in the shower or performed on stage countless times - if you’d like to improve your singing, I’m more than happy to help you on your journey to becoming the best singer you can be.
1-hour lesson: 60
30-minute lesson: 35
Package Deal (Pay for 7 lessons, get 1 free)
Eight 1-hour lessons:
$480 420 (you get 1 lesson free)
Eight 30-minute lessons:
$280 245 (you get 1 lesson free)
You can choose to pay weekly after lesson or get the Package Deal.
You can choose to pay your fees by cash, bank transfer or by credit card (PayPal).
Would Your Voice Improve If You Do Nothing About It?
Taking singing lessons can be a daunting experience, especially if it was your first ever lesson.
Your inner voice tells you: "What if I sound horrible? What if the teacher tells me that I have no talent? What if I don't like the teacher?"
I firmly believe that if you can speak, you can sing. Everyone's voice is different due to genetics, prior training or even sheer passion. What's important is that you take the first step towards improving what you have. Under expert guidance and a keen listening ear, I believe that you will definitely improve your voice if you're willing to put effort into making it happen.
It's very important to me that you enjoy your singing lessons. That's why I insist that you try one lesson for free. I want you to feel 100% sure before you continue. If you're not happy for any reason, just walk away and never hear from me again.
Northern Beaches - Brookvale (near Warringah Mall).
We are operating out of a music rehearsal studio in Brookvale.
Please call for address and directions.
I can also travel to your home if you prefer.
Areas serviced: Northern Beaches.
What Your First Lesson Will Be Like
The first lesson is when I get to know you a little better as a singer.
I'll ask you about:
- your singing experience (most people have only sung in the shower, and that is totally fine)
- what you hope to get out of the lessons
- your singing goals
- your favorite music/songs you will like to learn
Then, I'll take you through some warm-up exercises and also find out your vocal range.
You'll have the chance to sing 2-3 songs.
I'll listen to your voice and give you some constructive feedback. I'll tell you what I think your strengths are and what you need to work on to improve your voice.
If you decide to continue lessons, I'll then use these information to help me plan your next lesson. That way, you get the maximum value for your lesson time - doing things that are aimed specifically at improving your voice.
Most people are nervous during their first lesson. So, if you do, I want you to know that it is perfectly normal to feel that way. Once I start taking you through the vocal warm-up and you start singing songs, the jitters will go away very quickly.
What You’ll Get from Me
- Customized singing lessons, planned especially for you: I plan each and every lesson for you. I choose the best exercises that target the areas that you need to improve upon. From experience, this has helped my students improve tremendously in a short amount of time.
- Free 30-minute trial lesson: I believe in giving students the freedom to try a lesson with me before deciding to commit to future lessons. You'll get honest and constructive feedback about your voice. And whatever you decide, this lesson will always be free.
- Vocal warm-up CD: You’ll get a CD containing vocal warm-up tracks that you can take home and practice singing with. Or you can choose to have mp3 version sent to your email - upload them into your iTunes and you’re good to go!
- Lyric sheets/chord charts/backing tracks: Everything you need to learn the songs that you’d like to learn.
"After I joined a band I wanted to learn to sing. I found Benny through the internet. He worked out the type of songs that would suit my voice and found music for me to practice. Starting every lesson with stretches and exercises in order to improve my voice. He is patient, always encouraging, even when I think I sound terrible, he will find a positive to keep me motivated. I whole heartedly recommend him to anyone wishing to explore their voice."
"I whole-heartedly recommend Benny as a singing teacher. After just eight lessons, he taught my daughter all of the techniques she needed to become a more confident and accomplished singer. "
Ask Yourself These Questions and Answer Truthfully
Would your singing voice improve if you do nothing about it?
Would you be able to improve your singing voice on your own, without expert guidance and feedback?
Should you let your nervousness about taking singing lessons override the potential rewards of being a better singer?
The time is now. Take your singing skills to a whole new level! Be the singer you’ve always wanted to be!
P.S. I expect the bookings for the free 30-minute lessons to fill up quickly. Book yours now or you might be put on the waiting list.
P.P.S. The vocal warm-up tracks awesome. My students have been able to practice at home (in the car, or wherever suits you) what we do in class because of them.
P.P.P.S. If you’re nervous about taking your first singing lesson/learning from a new teacher, you’re welcome to bring a friend to sit in and watch or participate (optional)
If you’re not happy after your free 30-minute lesson for ANY reason, just walk away and never hear from me again. Your satisfaction comes first.