Gain Control of Your Voice, Boost Courage and Sing with Confidence in Front of People
Like to sing but just too anxious to do it in front of people?
Think you don’t sound good?
Like singing but don’t want to do it wrong and hurt your voice?
Want to get better at singing so you can get better performance opportunities?
Want to improve your voice and see what you can do with it?
Do These Things Happen to You When You Sing?
High notes getting ‘stuck’?
Running out of breath when singing?
Can’t sing as high as you used to?
Weak high notes?
Singing out of tune?
Voice feels sore after singing?
Voice too soft/loud?
Voice lacks projection?
Don’t know how to warm up your voice?
Feeling tensed in your throat?
Not feeling confident/feeling very anxious when singing in front of people?
Would You Like to…
Have a stronger voice?
Sing with less tension and more freedom?
Sing with a stronger, more resonant voice?
Have more breath capacity/stamina?
Always sing in tune?
Control/improve your low notes?
Control/improve your high notes?
Sing with confidence?
Learn to perform on stage?
Learn to sing your favorite songs?
Overcome your performance anxiety and sing with confidence in front of people?
Singing Lessons Designed for Your Voice to Help You Build on Your Strengths, Fix Vocal Issues and Overcome Performance Anxiety
Imagine having a singing teacher who plans each and every singing lesson to help you get better every week….
Imagine having a singing teacher who listens to your voice and work out the best way to improve your singing…
Imagine doing specific vocal exercises to fix the problematic areas in your singing…
Imagine learning the practical strategies from psychology and mindfulness to boost your courage and overcome stage fright…
Imagine singing the songs that you love and learning to sing them well…
Those are what you’ll get when you take singing lessons from me.
What Does Skye (Beginner) Say About Singing Lessons With Benny?
5-Star Reviews on Google
Who Am I and How Can I Help You Sing Better?
My name is Benny Ng. I’m a contemporary singer, songwriter and singing teacher/vocal coach. I’ve been teaching singing lessons in Sydney, Australia since 2011 (for over 11 years).
I’ve released rock music under my artist name, Shadowary.
I have 4 university qualifications in music (two of those were postgraduate degrees). I graduated from the renowned Sydney Conservatorium of Music with a Grad Dip in Vocal Pedagogy (for teaching singing).
Complete List of My Qualifications:
- Graduate Diploma in Music (Vocal Pedagogy) – Sydney Conservatorium of Music
- Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary) – Australian Catholic University
- Bachelor of Music (Performance) – Australian Music And Performing Arts Academy
- Diploma in Audio Engineering and Sound Production – JMC Academy
I’m accredited with NESA (NSW Education Standards Authority), Department of Education (DEC Full Approval), a member of APRA|AMCOS with a Working with Children Check clearance number.
I’ve worked as a music teacher at Amity College, Dulwich High School of Visual Arts and Design, Mackellar Girls School, Freshwater Senior Campus and Killarney Heights High School. I’ve conducted choirs at the ICC Centre, Darling Harbour and Sydney Town Hall.
I’ve also taught group singing classes at the Northern Beaches Community College (Mosman & Narrabeen).
My origin story:
In 2007, I moved to Australia to study a Bachelor of Music (Performance) course. Born and raised in Malaysia, I didn’t get much vocal or music training.
So, the learning curve was steep. Imagine going from primary school to university. That was how I felt.
Culture shock and pressures of life made it difficult for me to focus on my studies.
I had a great singing teacher but he moved to another state halfway through my course.
Singing didn’t come naturally to me. I’d overthink things and my throat would get sore very often. I felt lost and confused.
Our voice is inside of our body. We can’t see or touch it.
How was I supposed to learn to play something I couldn’t see or touch?
This was like learning to play the piano in the dark… while standing 5 feet away from it!
For the next 2 years, I fumbled through the course and barely passed my final performance exam.
Instead of feeling joy and pride, I felt like I had hit rock bottom. That wasn’t what graduating from a university should feel like.
But I wasn’t going to give up.
I decided to take things into my own hands. I wanted to learn everything I could about the science and art of singing.
I enrolled in a postgraduate course at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
I spent countless hours in the library, poring over textbooks and research journal articles.
I wanted to learn all I could about how the voice worked.
I bought or borrowed every single textbook that was recommended by my lecturers.
And I studied them all.
It was then that I discovered the holy grail of singing.
It was an underlying concept that made all vocal techniques worked.
I went into the practice studio to try out the things I learnt.
I was shocked by how quickly I improved.
I could now sing higher than I ever did before.
I was singing in tune most of the time. And singing felt a lot easier.
I was one step closer to fulfilling my dream of becoming a rock singer.
I started to learn how to belt and do metal screaming… but the mechanics of those advanced techniques were so different.
My throat would hurt after belting and screaming.
I went and did more research. I even took screaming lessons that cost $300/hour.
I discovered I actually had low level performance anxiety. Deep down, I was afraid of people judging my voice.
I’d feel insecure whenever I made mistakes while singing. I was afraid of what people might say about my voice.
This self consciousness affected me more than I knew.
Using psychology and meditation strategies, I managed to overcome my performance anxiety.
I can now belt a high G5 when I sing. I now have a 3-octave vocal range. Metal screams come easily to me.
When I perform rock songs, I feel more authentic because I’m in the moment. There’s a sense of freedom when I’m channeling my emotions through my voice.
I even started doing live online music shows for my fans.
After ‘finding’ my voice, I feel more confident as a person.
Singing is now a source of pride and joy that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.
Hear Me Sing
What Will You Learn?
- How to stand/sit in the correct way to singHow having a good body posture can release tension and increase vocal freedom
- How having good internal posture (inside your throat) can make your voice sound stronger
- Learn about the different kinds of breathing techniques (and which one to use when you’re singing)
- Breathing exercises to build body-mind connection (so that you don’t have to think about it when singing)
- Understand what parts of your body to control for efficient breath support (hint: it’s not just the diaphragm)
- How to always sing in tune – increase your pitch accuracy
- Extend your vocal range both ways – sing higher notes, sing lower notes
- Develop a more resonant/clearer/stronger vocal tone
- How to project your voice so the audience can hear you
- Develop a variety of vocal tone colours (dark, bright, round, twangy etc)
- Develop a balanced, resonant tone throughout your range (blending your voice)
- How to enunciate consonants and vowels to make singing easier
- Strengthen your articulators (tongue, lips, jaw) for clearer articulation
- Tongue, lips, neck, jaw exercises and self-massage to get your voice warmed up
- Song learning method to accelerate your song learning process
- Songs to build up your repertoire (teacher choice or your choice)
- How to deliver songs using appropriate stylistic interpretation, gestures and facial expressions
- Develop stage presence
- Microphone technique
- How to move on stage
- Develop a repertoire of songs you can sing well
- Choose songs that you like
- Sing songs that bring out the strengths of your voice
Inner Game of Singing – Strategies to Overcome Performance Anxiety
- Intellectually understand what anxiety and performance anxiety is
- Learn and apply practical strategies from psychology and mindfulness to overcome performance anxiety and sing with confidence
15 minutes: body stretches, breathing techniques, vocal warm-up, specific vocal exercises
15 minutes: song learning, stagecraft, microphone technique
30 minutes: body stretches, breathing techniques, vocal warm-up, specific vocal exercises
30 minutes: song learning, stagecraft, microphone technique
Each Lesson is Designed For Your Voice
I understand that every student is unique – not only their voice but also their learning styles, musical background and personality.
I take notes during each lesson for every single one of my students to help me monitor their progress and plan for their next lesson.
I then make the necessary changes to cater to the learning needs of my students.
From my experience, many of my students have experienced instant improvement that way.
And you can too if you take singing lessons from me.
Why Should You Learn Singing From Me?
- I plan each and every lesson to help you be the best singer you can be
- I see every student as an individual with their own strengths and weaknesses – I plan your lessons according to what works for you and get rid of what doesn’t
- I make singing easy to understand – helping you understand the concepts quicker and therefore improving quickly
- You will get my years of experience as a singer/vocalist and my keen ears to monitor your singing: you’ll always be on track and know what your voice sounds like and how to fix vocal issues
- I know about vocal anatomy and make singing easy to understand by using visual aids and mental imageries: you’ll get better quickly
- You’ll get to make practice tasks during each of your lessons – reminding you what to practice for that week
- I teach you about how your voice works in simple and easy to understand terms: you’ll get better quicker
- I care about your success: you get undivided attention to help you achieve singing success
- No matter how “horrible” you think your voice is, I can always find good things about your voice: increasing your confidence in your voice
- I will help you gain self-monitoring skills for singing, so that you can adjust and control your instrument (voice) even when I’m not there to give you feedback (i.e. when you’re practicing at home)
- I change up exercise routines to keep things fresh: you’ll enjoy each and every lesson
- I’ll give you exercise tracks to practice at home: get better quicker
- I’m flexible with lesson times: you can reschedule lessons for your convenience and for free (with a 24-hour notice)
- Supportive learning environment: you’ll feel relaxed and more open to discovering your voice/singing your heart out
What Students Say
Who are These Singing Lessons For?
If you’d like to improve your singing, then these singing lessons are for you.
I teach most contemporary styles including but not limited to: Rock, Pop, Musical Theater, Singer/Songwriter, folk, R&B, Hip-Hop, Jazz.
I can help you:
- overcome performance anxiety and increase your confidence
- prepare for HSC performance pieces
- prepare for Eisteddfod performances
- an upcoming audition
- sing better in your choir
- sing better in your band
- sing better as a professional vocalist
- sing better in musicals
- prepare for and take AMEB Rockschool/Trinity vocal exams
- regain your vocal abilities (after long periods of non singing/vocal damage)
- correct bad vocal habits (after years of singing without proper technique)
- improve your speaking voice
- improve your voice for busking
- sing for fun
Contact me if you:
- would like to get better so you can enjoy singing more
- love singing but too shy to do it in front of people and you want to gain more courage
- have an upcoming audition/performance you’d like some help with
- are doing Music for HSC
- were told that you can never sing well but would like to prove them wrong
- believe you cannot sing well but would like to prove yourself wrong
- would like to learn to sing in tune
- are forming a band and need help with vocals
- are a professional vocalist who needs a vocal tune-up
- would like to improve your voice in general
It doesn’t matter if you’ve only ever sung in the shower or performed on stage countless times – if you’d like to improve your singing, I’m more than happy to help you become the best singer you can be.
You can pay as you go or get the Package Deal.
Cash, bank transfer or credit card (fees apply) accepted.
Would Your Voice Improve If You Do Nothing About It?
Taking singing lessons can be a daunting experience, especially if it was your first ever lesson.
Your inner voice tells you: “What if I sound horrible? What if the teacher tells me that I have no talent? What if I don’t like the teacher?”
I firmly believe that if you can speak, you can sing. Everyone’s voice is different due to genetics, prior training or even sheer passion. What’s important is that you take the first step towards improving what you have. Under expert guidance and a keen listening ear, I believe that you will definitely improve your voice if you’re willing to put effort into making it happen.
It’s very important to me that you enjoy your singing lessons. That’s why I insist that you try one lesson for free. I want you to feel 100% sure before you continue. If you’re not happy for any reason, just walk away and never hear from me again.
Online Lessons via Zoom
Available wherever you are in the world
Become a confident singer in the comfort of your home
Dee Why, NSW
Northern Beaches – 7/1 Redman Rd, Dee Why NSW 2099
What Will Your First Lesson Be Like?
The first lesson is when I get to know you a little better as a singer.
I’ll ask you about:
- your singing experience (most people have only sung in the shower, and that is totally fine)
- what you hope to get out of the lessons
- your singing goals
- your favorite music/songs you would like to learn
Then, I’ll take you through some warm-up exercises and also find out your vocal range.
You’ll have the chance to sing 1-2 songs.
I’ll listen to your voice and give you some constructive feedback. I’ll tell you what I think your strengths are and what you need to work on to improve your voice.
If you decide to continue lessons, I’ll then use these information to help me plan your next lesson. That way, you get the maximum value for your lesson time – doing things that are aimed specifically at improving your voice.
Most people are nervous during their first lesson. It’s perfectly normal to feel that way. Once I start taking you through the vocal warm-up and you start singing songs, the nerves will go away quickly. If you’re still anxious, I’ll show you relaxation exercises to help you calm down. Usually, they work really well.
What Will You Get From Me?
- Free 30-minute lesson: I believe in giving students the freedom to try a lesson with me before deciding to commit to future lessons. And whatever you decide, this lesson will always be free
- Customized singing lessons, planned especially for you: I choose the best exercises that target the areas that you need to improve upon. From experience, this has helped my students improve tremendously in a short amount of time
- Vocal warm-up and exercise tracks: You’ll get professionally recorded vocal warm-up and exercise tracks to practice singing with. It’s like having me there in your car/home to guide you through vocal warm-up and exercises
Ask Yourself These Questions and Answer Truthfully
Would your singing voice improve if you do nothing about it?
Would you be able to improve your singing voice on your own, without expert guidance and feedback?
If there’s a vocal coach who can give you the tools to gain control of your voice, would it be worth giving it a shot?
If there’s a proven method for you to overcome performance anxiety and sing with confidence at last, would you like to see where it can take you?
The time is now. Take your singing skills to a whole new level! Be the singer you’ve always wanted to be!
P.S. I expect the bookings for the free 30-minute lessons to fill up quickly. Book yours now or you might be put on the waiting list.
P.P.S. The vocal warm-up tracks are awesome. My students have been able to practice at home (in the car, or wherever suits you) what we do in class because of them.
P.P.P.S. If you’re nervous about taking your first singing lesson/learning from a new teacher, I can show you relaxation exercises to help you calm down at the beginning of the lesson.
If you’re not happy after your free 30-minute lesson for ANY reason, just walk away and never hear from me again. Your satisfaction comes first.